Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Vim, vigor and a bad attitude...

Last week I was talking with a guy who works in my office. Nice guy - kind of quiet but I'm slowly getting him out of his shell. When there's a southern white girl at the front desk saying "tru dat" it's hard not to smile. So, we're talking about college - yeah college - and he asked me the essentials: who, what, when, where, why. When I told him I was in school for like 12 years because beer on Butch night with my sorority sisters was way more fun than class he was a little taken back. He could not believe that I was a sorority girl! What! Now I know that I have a bad attitude toward all things regulated. I don't like to be told what to do - wear this, pay this, sing this... However, I have several really great friends that came out of being in a sorority that I wouldn't change it for the world. I learned a lot from them and they learned never to tell me to wear clothes that don't match because this "sister" doesn't do that...
After I told the nice guy that I was in a sorority I reminded him that as an elite member of this community I'm also in Satan's Pants answer to the Junior League. Again - total disbelief. On this note I might have to agree with him. I've done this for 3 year and starting my 4th year next month. I have met a few really nice ladies that I hope to keep as friends as long as I'm stuck here, but I'm not sure it's really the right fit for me. Again, I don't enjoy being told what to do: be here, pay for this, work this (for free). It's amazing that there are some women who thrive on this. There are fussy snotty women who get their panties in a wad because I don't have all the time in the world to dedicate to the in's and out's of the league. I'm sorry - I have 2.5 children, a part time job, other volunteer positions AND lots and lots of TV to watch this fall (90210 2.0 starts 9.02 - can you handle it). I'm so tired of the crap. Give me a song to sing and a social to go to and I'm your girl. Work 20 plus hours for free - suck an egg.
I know I have a bad attitude. I enjoy putting myself out there to meet new people and do new things. Some things work and some things don't. I've made a commitment and I intend to stick to it. However, since I'm already at my whits end for this year (the year ends in June) you might want to stay out of my way. There are other things in life - so get a grip, a new hair cut and lose the attitude with me. In case you don't know it already when it comes to attitudes - mine is always worse...

1 comment:

ashley said...

I was only present for socials and boys.

"sisters are the chains....that allow me to be free...."

I could never do a Junior League. Props to you. I have negative children, a husband, two dogs and a rental... I can't keep up.

I'll never hack it.