Friday, August 15, 2008

Birthdays and the Olympics...

I love the Olympics. I think that it's an awesome tradition to have young people more or less strut their stuff for the world to see. I think that everyone who makes it to the Olympics is so super talented. It's amazing that these kids put in so much time and effort to win a medal. Not cash - but a medal. That's love of sport. However, I have a few issues. When I was in middle school, high school and college I was a twirler (feature twirler if I want to toot my own horn - toot toot). You know, batons, fire, knives etc. I was pretty good if I do say so myself. I went to local competitions and to nationals (everyone was invited so don't get to excited - however, I won 2nd in my division for my solo routine - holla). Twirling takes a lot of talent, grace and practice yet it's not an Olympic sport. Not a problem really - if the Olympics doesn't recognize it as totally awesome then fine. I can live with that. However, why in the world would badminton, trampoline and rhythmic gymnastics be allowed? TRAMPOLINE! Seriously. I don't think I've every met anyone who's parents are homeschooling their children so they can become professional trampoline jumpers. Also, how do you keep a straight face when you tell people that you or your child is a trampoline jumper? I'd be almost embarrassed. However, since my oldest isn't the most athletic of children, maybe trampoline or badminton is the answer. If they have fighting with light sabers as an Olympic sport then we may have found his niche.
Tomorrow we're having a birthday party for said less athletic child. He's turning 7 at the end of the month, but since that's Labor Day weekend we're having the party early. We're having the party at a Bowling Alley and originally we were going to have 10 children maximum. However, me being me I felt bad for leaving 4 boys that were in his kindergarten class out so I invited all the boys. My son was fine with inviting whom ever, but really didn't care. They weren't his favorite friends, but he didn't hate them so I assumed it would be OK. None of the 4 boys/boys mothers felt the need to RSVP which drives me crazy! How do I give a final head count if you won't bother to RSVP! So, today I had to call them to confirm. Most were apologetic - I got busy, we've been out of town etc. HOWEVER, one was so rude. She said "I asked (short little bratty child) if he wanted to go and he said no". Who says that!?! I found that so hurtful. As a good southern girl I said thanks for the information but what I wanted to say was "that's OK, because my son really didn't want to invite your bratty son but I made him. I guess this works out for both of us". Again, SATAN'S PANTS is full of rude people. Apparently no one ever told them that if they don't have anything nice to say to not say anything at all. So stupid...

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

That woman should not have said that! What is her problem???? It's because she's a yankee I guess. Doesn't she know that in a situation like that you just lie?

ashley said...

My mom is kicking herself for never letting me get on the trampoline for fear that I'd break my face.

I had such a passion....I could be a gold medalist on the trampolines right now.