Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Living the unemployment dream...

I've become a statistic. After having a baby and taking some time off ,I returned to my very stressful 2 day a week receptionist gig (stressful is totally sarcastic). After being back 2 weeks we were all called into a meeting regarding the direction of the company. Basically, the old CEO/owner had to declare personal and professional bankruptcy and would no longer be a member of our "team" and the 40 year old sales guy who thinks he's 27 with his long in front thinning hair was going to achieve financing to purchase the company and things would run business as usual..
Famous last words.....
The following week I receive a phone call from the office manager that I would be put on temporary layoff for a month or so until they could work the kinks out. Everyone who did not have billable hours would be laid off. Those that did have billable hours would stay and just not get paid. Yeah - that sounds like a heck of a deal. So here I am all unemployed, collecting my unemployment and eating brownies living the unemployment dream.
The problem with all of this is the way it was all handled. Apparently Mr. Combover CEO (not to be confused with thinning hair who thinks he's CEO material but really he's a grown man with ADD) was not paying his taxes. Now I know this is OK in the Obama administration, but apparently in the real world they take everything from you if you neglect to pay your taxes. He was also taking peoples money out of their checks for their flex plan and 401k (or 101k in this market) and not contributing it - which is apparently against the law for anyone. Even though he was using the money to make payroll every month doesn't make it OK. Especially when he came to us in the meeting all crying and crap because the economy did this. NO COMBOVER- THE ECONOMY DIDN'T DO THIS TO YOU OR YOUR COMPANY - THE FACT THAT YOU'RE A FELON DID THIS..... The economy is crap right now however, if you do not pay your taxes and do not contribute to peoples investments then you're going to get caught and your going to get in trouble - with the law (so stupid).
Now I actually like Mr. Combover. He's an idiot but I don't think he's evil. Mr ADD however is going to run the new company into the ground pronto. It's now coming towards the end of the illusive "month" that I was going to be laid off. I'm not expecting a phone call needing me to come back. They haven't secured any financing and more than half of those "billable" people decided not to return. So now I'm out to find another 2 day a week, light on the stress heavy on the pay job. If you hear of one please let me know - I'll be on the couch watching Paranormal State until you do...

No comments: